I was recently asked what should I pack on a motorcycle when traveling? And the answered is that it depends on where you are going, and how far and long is the trip. The reason is that in some countries all you need is a cell phone and a credit card if you get in trouble all you do is call for help, and it arrives although you will have to pay for it. In others you will need to take many tools and spare parts since there will be no cell phone service or any roadside assist to help you.
I have however compiled three lists one is of things that you need to do before you go on a trip, the other is of things you need to take no matter how long the trip is, and a supplementary list for those really long trips that may end up in remote areas of the globe.
Today I will present the general list of things that you may want to pack of a motorcycle trip, while I present the other lists in other entries in the future.
This is the list of things that you may want pack for a motorcycle trip.
- Cloths; I though I should state the obvious just in case.
- A pair of comfortable shoes, I take running shoes.
- Flip flop slippers for the beach or bathroom.
- A water bottle or canteen that allows you to be properly hydrated while riding.
- A First Aid kit, and get some training on how to use it.
- A tire repair kit and learn how to use it.
- A way to fill the tire with air, I suggest a compressor since it gives unlimited amounts and there are several built for motorcyclists.
- A good tire pressure gauge, tire maintenance is crucial during travel and you need to check you tires regularly.
- Duct tape, electrical tape, and zip ties
- Flashlight with batteries that work.
- Wiping towels.
- Octane booster, depending on the type of bike you are riding since you don't always get the correct octane at the pumps.
- Vise grips
- Spare headlight bulb, taillight bulb and signal light bulb.
- Electrical lead tester.
- A multi tool knife.
- Assorted spare fuses.
- Some kind of pain and anti diarrhea pills like Tylenol & Imodium AD.
- Your own medication if you are on any, also stating the obvious just in case.
- Sunblock Cream & Eye drops